Today is DH’s birthday, hooray! I looked up his birthday on Wikipedia and this is some of what I found:
- 1454 – Amerigo Vespucci, Italian explorer and cartographer
- 1629 – Tsar Alexis I of Russia
- 1904 – Paul Klipsch, American engineer
- 1920 – Frank J. Dixon, American immunologist
- 1923 – Walter Kohn, Austrian-born physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1934 – Yuri Gagarin, Soviet cosmonaut and the first human in space
- 1943 – Bobby Fischer, American chess player
- 1964 – Steve Wilkos, American police officer and talk show host
- 1970 – Shannon Leto, American drummer and actor (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1971 – Emmanuel Lewis, American actor
- 1976 – Thor Halvorssen, human rights activist
- 1983 – Clint Dempsey, American footballer
- 1983 – Maite Perroni, Mexican singer (RBD)
- 1987 – Bow Wow, American rapper and actor
- 1230 – Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen II defeats Theodore of Epirus in the Battle of Klokotnitsa.
- The U.S. Supreme Court rules that captive Africans who had seized control of the ship carrying them had been taken into slavery illegally.
- 1847 – Mexican-American War: The first large-scale amphibious assault in U.S. history is launched in the Siege of Veracruz.
- 1910 – The Westmoreland County Coal Strike, involving 15,000 coal miners represented by the United Mine Workers, begins.
- 1916 – Pancho Villa leads nearly 500 Mexican raiders in an attack against Columbus, New Mexico.
- 1933 – Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1956 – Soviet military suppresses a mass demonstration in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization policy.
- 1990 – Dr. Antonia Novello is sworn in as Surgeon General of the United States, becoming the first female and Hispanic American to serve in that position.
- 1991 – Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade. Two people are killed and tanks are deployed in the streets.
- 1997 – Comet Hale-Bopp: Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.
- Feast Day: Catherine of Bologna
Yesterday was demi-glace day, it wasn’t a traditional demi-glace in the sense that I didn’t use veal. I made mine in a sort of hybrid fashion as the goal was to use what we already had at home rather than spending a ton of money buying special ingredients. We had pig bones in the freezer from another meal as well as duck parts from last week’s duck mole (leftovers made great tacos!) so I used those. The following pictures might be too graphic if you’re squeamish about meat.
Why am I saving the fat? Well, we always save the fat for later use, but we were amused to read this in the paper one day:
Duck fat is this year’s bacon, Abbot added. “From a culinary perspective, duck fat is pure magic,” she said. “From a health perspective … it contains a high percentage of mono-unsaturated fat and it’s actually closer in composition to olive oil than butter or even lard.” The high smoking point provides cooking at higher temperatures without burning. Lush Wine Bar in Chicago creates its bar popcorn in duck fat. And Michael Mina at Bourbon Steak in the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess in Arizona does a trio of individually spiced fries cooked in duck fat.
“Beyond duck fat, expect to see more novel fats on menus,” such as lard and beef tallow, Abbot said. “As long as the fat is well-sourced it’s all good. And in small doses, it can actually be really good for you.”