We received DH’s results on the day Portabella passed, we haven’t really been motivated to do the background research on his haplogroup since then. Things will eventually get back to normal and hopefully this will help.
DH’s Y-DNA haplogroup has been identified as E1b1b1 (M35.1 shorthand) which is thought to have branched from E1b1b (M215) with its expansion into the Mediterranean/Southeastern Europe from the Middle East (to the Middle East from the Horn of Africa).
DH had a ton of exact matches on Family Tree DNA but since he was tested only to the 12 marker that’s not surprising. These matches are very “low resolution” because of the depth of the test, so his refine to 67 test should tell us more. These results are expected around October 1. This is all interesting because DH’s family is said to be very Turkish which is not well received in present-day Bulgaria. According to Eupedia’s Y-DNA information, the E1b1b haplogroup accounts for 22% of Bulgarians and 11% of Turks. It occurs in the second highest frequency in Bulgaria, just slightly behind haplogroup I2 (22.5%). The most frequent haplogroup in Turkey is J2 at 24% followed by R1b at 16% (combined = 40%). I’m assuming my father-in-law’s family is not as Turkish as people believe, at least not on his father’s side. However, we don’t have any genetic information on my father-in-law’s mother.
This is what the Genographic Project says about E1b1b1:
Place of Origin: Middle East
The final common ancestor in your haplogroup, the man who gave rise to marker M35.1, was born around 20,000 years ago in the Middle East. His descendants were among the first farmers and helped spread agriculture from the Middle East into the Mediterranean region. At the end of the last ice age around 10,000 years ago, the climate changed once again and became more conducive to plant production. This probably helped spur the Neolithic Revolution, the point at which the human way of living changed from nomadic hunter-gatherers to settled agriculturists.
The early farming successes in the Fertile Crescent of the Middle East beginning around 8,000 years ago spawned population booms and encouraged migration throughout much of the Mediterranean world. Control over their food supply marks a major turning point for the human species. Rather than small clans of 30 to 50 people who were highly mobile and informally organized, agriculture brought the first trappings of civilization. Occupying a single territory required more complex social organization, moving from the kinship ties of a small tribe to the more elaborate relations of a larger community. It spurred trade, writing, calendars, and pioneered the rise of modern sedentary communities and cities.
These ancient farmers, your ancestors, helped bring the Neolithic Revolution into the Mediterranean. This is where your genetic trail, as we know it today, ends. However, be sure to revisit these pages. As additional data are collected and analyzed, more will be learned about your place in the history of the men and women who first populated the Earth. We will be updating these stories throughout the life of the project.
Ok, so I didn’t know what I was talking about when I first wrote this! We upgraded DH’s test to the 67th marker and it isn’t complete yet, but enough information is in to know that yes indeed, DH’s paternal line is Turkish/Ottoman like whoa. The first clue was when the Bulgarian DNA Project listed him under “Bulgarian Turks”. There is a Turks of Bulgaria project too, so I signed him up for that. We should do his mitochondrial DNA for fun since DH’s mom is Bulgarian Bulgarian (not Turkish Bulgarian).
At the 12-marker test, DH had a ton of exact matches: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Ethiopia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Prussia, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, and Wales.